You've Switched Out Your Skincare, Now What?
So often we have very lovely ladies come in to the store who tell us they want to make the switch to green beauty. They're cleaning out all their toxic skincare items and want to replace them with safe products made with natural, ethically sourced, nontoxic and organic ingredients. And we love this! But, we've noticed that they sometimes forget about their makeup. This is equally as important, everyone! Skin care is not the only thing full of icky ingredients, your lipstick, foundation, mascaras, etc are just packed with gross (and even dangerous) ingredients, such as:
- BHT - a possible endocrine disruptor, can cause irritation to eyes and skin
- Ethylparaben - can cause Immunotoxicity, an endocrine disruptor, an allergen
- Methylparaben & Propylparaben - studies of breast tumors have shown a build up of methyl and propyl Parabens in the breast tissue
- Oxybenzone - possible carcinogen
- Fragrance - this one we've talked about before but we can't stress enough how scary this is because there can literally be ANYTHING in fragrance and no company has to disclose what it is.
- Petrolatum (Mineral Oil) - causes mild irritation, itchiness, and redness to eyes and skin,
- Butylparaben - mimics estrogen, toxic to reproduction, a known carcinogen, hormone disruptor
- Isobutylparaben - in a study of breast tumors, this was found built up in breast tissue
- Isopropylparaben - studies of breast tumors have shown a build up of this in breast tissue, an endocrine disruptor
- Talc - Respiratory and skin irritation. Possible ovarian cancer carcinogen.
- Black 2 (Carbon Black) - possible human carcinogen, possible organ system toxicity
- Diazolidinyl UREA - skin irritant, triggers eczema, formaldehyde releasing agent
Now, if you're thinking "Oh no, this can't be right. There's no way the FDA would allow any of this poison in products going on our bodies!", well, sadly you're wrong. The FDA does very little, if anything at all, to regulate cosmetic companies. It's up to the consumer to educate themselves and know what they're are using.
I think we are conditioned to think of makeup as paint, something we use to cover up the imperfections that skincare can't or hasn't yet taken care of. Well, this is kind of silly. Using natural green beauty skincare products with toxic makeup means your skin care has to work twice as hard to keep your skin looking good. But, if you're using a makeup product that is made with antioxidants, essential oils, natural and organic active ingredients then it will work in harmony with your skincare to give you gorgeous and healthy skin.
So give your skincare a helping hand and clean up your makeup bag! You can shop our collection of luxurious green & safe cosmetics online or in store!