15 Nov '16
Shop Small With Us
Posted by Bree Bruce
Small Business Saturday is quickly approaching. So we thought we would share with you guys some pretty good reasons to shop small this holiday season.
- More than half of the U.S.’s jobs since 1995 were created by small businesses. And since 1990, big businesses eliminated 4 million jobs, while small businesses added 8 million jobs.
- Small businesses create a sense of community. You’re much more likely to get to know a small business owner in your neighborhood. According to a study conducted by Trulia and noted in Forbes, the second most popular desire amongst urbanites is a stronger sense of community – number one being more local restaurants.
- When you support a local business, you’re also supporting your town, city, and neighborhood. Business pay sales taxes to the city and county the business is located in.
- You'll raise your property values. Lively, vibrant neighborhood shopping streets are considered an advantage when selling a home. They make your property more valuable.
- Each year, cities calculate the amount of sales tax revenue that they anticipate receiving from their local businesses. That revenue estimate is used to forecast the following year's budget needs and the budget gets decided. If the revenue does not match the estimate, the city goes over budget, which can cause financial issues. Local businesses that are able to maintain positive growth through sales tax revenue each year help meet the city's financial needs. In addition, the city is able to project the following year's probable revenue figures based on the local business' revenue the previous year.
- At a small business, chances are you’ll be waited on by the owner, a member of their family, or someone who reports directly to the owner. This proximity to the boss makes for better customer service – something that can be hard to find at larger stores
- Let’s be honest – sometimes you’d rather have to choose between a handful of television sets or warm boots instead of a warehouse full of them. Your local retailers have done some of the legwork for you – offering a select inventory aimed at matching what you’re looking for in terms of quality and value.
- Small-business owners are the embodiment of the American Dream; supporting them makes you part of the dream, and that’s a good thing