Picking the Right Foundation for Your Skin Type
Finding the right foundation for your skin can sometimes be a headache. Full coverage or sheer? Liquid or Powder? Matte finish of dewy? I mean, how can you choose?! Well, we're here to help! At Enkel we carry 8 different types of foundation, and that in itself may be overwhelming, so today we're going to go over the undertones, finish, coverage and more of each foundation!
First, lets explain a few key terms -
- Coverage (sheer, medium, full) - this is in reference to how opaque the foundation. For example, if you have freckles lets say you love em and you don't want to hide em, you probably want a sheer coverage. Or maybe you hate them want them all hidden, full coverage is the way to go. And maybe you don't really care either way but you'd like to even out your skin, medium coverage is going to be your bestie.
- Tones or Undertones - you'll often hear people refer to your tone as cool (more pink or red) or warm (more yellow), however there are undertones in between and it is possible to just be neutral.
- Finish - this refers to how your skin looks once the foundation is applied, dewy, satin, or matte.
1. FITGLOW Beauty Flawless Fluid Foundation - available in 6 different shades, this line has more of a yellow undertone and a matte finish with medium to full coverage. So if you have a warmer skin tone and oily skin and prefer fuller coverage, this just may be the foundation for you.
2. Vapour Atmosphere Soft Focus Foundation - available in 8 shades, the undertone for this line ranges between yellow and pink and neutral, medium to full coverage with a dewy finish. This foundation applies best with your fingers and is packed full of antioxidants and essential nutrients that will have your skin looking and feeling better when you remove it than before you applied. While we have found that this suits pink undertones the best there are a few shades perfect for those with warmer undertones. For those with dry skin, you will love the way this foundation feels.
3. Vapour Atmosphere Luminous Foundation - available in 5 shades, this stick foundation is very similar to its liquid counterpart, differing mainly in that it is definitely a full coverage foundation and is primarily for more mature skin/dry skin.
4. 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Healthy Skin Foundation - available in 5 shades, this is a sheer to medium coverage foundation with very neutral undertones, and a satiny finish.
5. 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Healthy Skin Foundation Powder - also available in 5 shades, this pressed powder foundations works well on its own with a kabuki brush or dusted over the 100% Pure liquid foundation to set and/or add extra coverage. Just like the liquid foundation these powders have neutral undertones and will give you a gorgeous silky finish.
6. Alima Pure Satin Matte Foundation - available in 16 shades, with a variety of undertones (warm, neutral, cool, beige, and olive), we find that this foundation works well for anyone, but we specifically like to recommend it to people with more problematic skin. Because it only contains a few very simple ingredients there's little chance of it irritating already sensitive skin. Just like the name implies, this foundation will give you a satin matte finish, and depending on what type of brush you use to apply you can achieve anywhere from sheer to full coverage.
7. Suntegrity 5-in1 Tinted Moisturizer - available in 4 shades, the coverage you will receive from this tinted moisturizer is shockingly good. With neutral undertones, it suits a variety of skin tones and has a nice dewy but nongreasy finish. It also applies best with your fingers, and is a moisturizer, sunscreen, and foundation all in one!
8. ILIA Beauty Sheer Vivid Tinted Moisturizer - available in 6 shades, the undertones for this are very universal. This is by far our sheerest foundation, it works really well as a primer/bb cream used under a foundation powder, but it is also very pretty on its own for everyday minimalist looks. It is quite hydrating, so we wouldn't recommend it for very oily skin, but for combination or normal to dry skin this light weight tint is great.
If you're still unsure about which foundation might be the right one for you then come by the store, we have testers of everything, along with sponges and wipes so you can test everything out and see for yourself which finish and texture you prefer.