Nail Polish Nasties
Don't get us wrong, we love a good mani and pedi as much as the next girl. And we want fun things, like bright colors, shimmer & glitter, and the occasional accent nail, but we want all of this without putting our health at risk. Nail polish can be a serious toxic offender, and if you don't know what you're looking for then how will you know to avoid it? Familiarizing yourself with the icky ingredients (and knowing why they are icky) will help you remember them so you know what to avoid when picking your next polish. We also strongly urge you to avoid acrylic manicures. We know the appeal of these manis is really strong, but they're just not worth the effect they can have on you, from skin irritation and contact dermatitis to dizzines, nausea, and respiratory issues.
Here's a handy list of ingredients common found in acrylic nail and polish formulas and the affects they have on your body/health. So read it, memorize it, print it out and shove it in your purse, do whatever it takes! Feeling pretty is great, but not as important as being healthy.
- ALUMINUM POWDER - Neurotoxicity, Enhanced skin absorption, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
- PROPYLPARABEN - Use restrictions, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Endocrine disruption, Developmental/reproductive toxicity, Ecotoxicology
- TRIPHENYL PHOSPHATE - Developmental/reproductive toxicity, Multiple, additive exposure sources, Neurotoxicity, Endocrine disruption, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Ecotoxicology
- D&C VIOLET 2 - Organ system toxicity, Cancer
- ETHYL METHACRYLATE - can affect you when breathed in, contact can irritate the skin and eyes, may cause a skin allergy, repeated exposure may damage the nervous system, is on the Hazardous Substance List
- METHYL METHACRYLATE - Although the FDA banned the chemical methyl methacrylate, or MMA, in acrylic nail solutions, some nail salons still use it because of poor regulation in the industry. MMA is known to cause respiratory problems, eye and skin irritation and neurological issues
- TOLUENE - a toxic chemical found in some nail polishes and acrylic nail glue, has been shown to cause respiratory issues, irritated skin, headaches and dizziness. Prolonged or repeated exposure to toluene may also pose more severe health problems, including damage to internal organs, such as the liver or kidneys, and affect human reproduction putting you at a higher risk for spontaneous abortions
- FORMALDEHYDE - added to conventional formulas as a nail hardener and strengthener. It has been classified as a known carcinogen. (This means it is linked to cancer!)
- DBP (Dibutyl Phthalate) - a harsh plastic chemical added to help prevent chipping, DBP negatively affects the reproductive system
- CAMPHOR - added to formulas for high-shine. It can cause irritation, nausea, dizziness, and headaches when inhaled
- FORMALDEHYDE RESIN - a derivative of Formaldehyde, it is a skin allergen