Mascara - Ingredients (& Brands) To Avoid
Following yesterday's #thisnotthatthursday Instagram post, we did a little more research into what other top selling brands put in their mascaras. We were disappointed, but admittedly not all that shocked, by what we found. It seems it is, across the main stream board, very common to use unhealthy and toxic ingredients in masacara. This worries us, because your eyes are so important and delicate. So applying a product so very close to your eye ball that does something like releasing formaldehyde is a gamble that we just aren't willing to take.
The brands we investigated were Benefit, TooFaced, Dior, Maybelline, & L'oreal. And this is what we found:
- Ethylparaben - Can cause immunotoxicity, and endocrine disruptor, human allergen
- Methylparaben & Propylparaben - studies of breast tumors have shown a build up of methyl and propyl Parabens in the breast tissue
- Butylparaben - mimics estrogen, toxic to reproduction, known human carcinogen, hormone disruptor
- Isopropylparaben - studies of breast tumors have a shown a build up of this in breast tissue, an endocrine disruptor
- Isobutylparaben - in a study of breast tumors this was found built up in the breast tissue
- BHT - Possible endocrine disruptor, can cause irritation to skin and EYES (weird that it would be in a product going right next to the eye, right?!)
- Titanium Dioxide - Possible human carcinogen, human allergen
- Quaternium -15 - Triggers Eczema, known human carcinogen, human allergen
- Diazolidinyl Urea - Allows chemicals to penetrate deeper into the skin, a formaldehyde releasing agent (formaldehyde is a known caricnogen), skin irritant
- Polyester -11 -Possible human carcinogen, human allergen, film former (creates a non-biodegradable film)
Parabens & Carcinogens are scary things, they are all linked to different forms of cancer. So, whenever it is possible you should avoid these ingredients. Which can be hard because they seem to be in almost everything! But fear not, we actually carry 3 different excellent options for safe and nontoxic mascaras!
1. FITGLOW Beauty Good Lash - seriously, are you tired of us talking about this yet? We rave about it all the time because we absolutely love it! Have you tried it yet? Did you know you can use it as a gel eyeliner for a fierce winged cat eye? Because you totally can.
2. 100% Pure Maracuja Oil Mascara - 100% natural, 100% Vegan, gluten free mascara gives your lashes great volume and drama while holding your curl. Maracuja oil, pro-vitamin B5 and other conditioners strengthens for healthier lashes. Colored from black tea leaves, berry and cocoa pigments. Water, smudge and flake resistant. (Which is totally awesome because water resistant natural mascaras are few and far between)
3. Alima Pure Natural Definition Mascara - Natural Definition Mascara is richly pigmented and glides on beautifully. Provitamin B5, Jojoba oil, and natural beeswax nourish and condition, leaving lashes healthy and lush. The rubber-bristled wand defines and separates so lashes stay clump-free. We carry it in Black and Brown.
You can shop our collection of mascaras in store and online.